Inspire Today with Rev. Yomi Kasali
Yes, I know it sounds like a paradox but it is actually true that some people really find it hard to rest, to these people; resting usually takes some hard work because they find it very difficult to take a break. I’ll like to share my experience on the subject and hope my readers can be Inspired and take some lessons on Resting.
I went on a break some few months ago with my family abroad and I discovered that Resting for me was Hard Work, it was very difficult for me to disconnect with my daily schedule and I sulked for a greater part of my holiday. I became very worried and sad because my family was not enjoying my presence the way they would usually do, I have always been a family person and still am, so I felt bad that the most precious people to me on earth were around me and I was not enjoying it as much as I would usually; so I came to the conclusion that I might just be a ‘Workaholic’.
Workaholics are people ‘addicted’ to work and unaccustomed to Resting. I found that nauseating because my Worldview is shaped by scriptures and my opinions in life are molded by God’s perspectives hence I started to search scriptures to find His view on Resting and Working. My discoveries are profound and interesting. God wants us to work and rest at the same time, He expects us to find time to Rest and it must be deliberate.
The Bible tells us that God created both Work and Rest, in fact He was the first to do both and Rest was crucially mentioned in Genesis as a directive and commandment.
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. (Gen 2 v 2-3)
As you can see above, God worked and rested; He blessed the day and season of Rest and expects us all to Rest after working. Once Resting becomes Work, then something is wrong; which was my experience a few months ago and I am working hard to change that situation.
5 STEPS TO MAKE SURE REST IS NOT WORK
1. BE DELIBERATE ABOUT IT: I am going to use scripture to teach these lessons and it is from the Word of Christ to His Disciples, And he said unto them; Come ye yourselves apart † into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. And they departed into a desert place by ship privately (Mark 6 v 31-32). The Lord was deliberate and intentional on the subject of Resting by ensuring the apostles were away to rest.
2. FIND A SOLITARY PLACE (…DESERT PLACE): it is very difficult resting in a familiar territory especially a work place territory because of ‘distractions’ from familiar people. Take a break by going on holidays to somewhere you will be alone and not distracted.
3. HAVE SOME FORM OF LEISURE: Make sure you derive Pleasure from your Leisure time while on holidays or taking a break, many people do not understand the science of Leisure, you must do what makes you relax and bring enjoyment while Resting not do some Work again.
4. EAT AND DRINK: For most workaholics, they find eating time difficult to come by because they are probably too busy. One thing that must be done when resting deliberately is to Eat and Drink with pleasure because Jesus said ‘we must find time to Eat…’
5. DISCONNECT FROM WORK: Some People Take Work along when they are supposed to be Resting. You must intentionally disconnect from Work for a moment, you cannot finish Working but your Work can end your life if you do not rest.
I hope you have been inspired by these few points, take some time to Rest, go on Holidays and be deliberate about it.
Yomi Kasali (Rev)